The Ridgid WD1851 16 gallon Vacuum is my new workhorse. On this rear occasion, I have something to compare it to. Having owned an older model I was able to do a comparison. The WD4070 served me well, It’s a 4-gallon 5.0 peak HP motor VS this WD1851 which have a 6.5 peak HP Motor. I could notice the difference right away in the performance. There are still a few things that are similar such as power cord storing at the top, vacuum and blower, Qwik Lock Filter, and a quick release open feature to name a few. The WD1851 is ready to work with the large 16-gallon tank, 20ft power cord, and large wheels to roll through.
- 6.5 Peak HP Motor – Powerful suction picks up about 1 gallon of water per second
- Scroll Noise Reduction® is a patented feature that provides quiet operation by precisely controlling the flow of air through the vac
- Sturdy Cart, Push Handle, & Large Rear Wheels act together allowing the vac to travel easily up & down steps and across rough terrain
- Quick Release Accessory Storage Bag keeps accessories close at hand but is quickly removable to make emptying debris from drum quick and easy
- 2-Piece Drum Provides improved, more rugged construction to meet the higher demands found on the job site
- 3-layer Fine Dust Filter captures fine dust particles such as drywall dust
- 7′ Dual-Flex® Locking Hose resists collapsing and adds 180˚ flexibility at both hose ends. Hose locks onto vac for uninterrupted cleaning
- Large Carry Handle allows easy lifting of vac into service vehicle
- Long 20’ Cord wraps neatly around carry handle
- Powerful exhaust airstream can be directed through the vac hose to blow debris from garages, decks, and sidewalks
- Included locking accessories secure all attachments from hose to tool.
On the top of the Vacuum, there is an extension cord holder that also doubles as a handle. You can not miss the large 1in. by 1 3/4in. power button.
I have not filled the vacuum with water but I know that this would get pretty heavy when filled. For convenience, the drain is located in the front at the lowest point, so just loosen the drain cap and let the water drain. There’s no need to lift the vacuum to empty it.
Mobile: This Wet/Dry Vacuum is huge and when filled it could get heavy. Having wheels is great and makes it easy to maneuver. With the large wheels, you can easily hoist this VAC up steps, grass, and uneven grounds.
I am guilty of ruining a few filters in the past by picking up water with the dust filter on. There is a VF7000 Wet Application Foam Filter I was not aware of prior. I have used the wet vacuum without a filter but you run the risk of pulling in plastic and paper in the motor without a filter. So I totally recommend it.
Blower: This Vac features a blowing port. Locate the port on the back, this same port is also where the muffler goes. Hook up your hose and turn on the Vac. Now you can blow away debris. I actually use this feature a ton on my older RIDGID Vac before I bought a gas blower to clean my driveway. It’s a nice feature to have, especially if you can’t get in a tight spot. Simply switch to the blower to clean that area.
While the RIDGID WD1851 is great and has impressive suction I don’t want to constantly clean it and the filter. The Dustopper is designed to stop 99% of the dust from entering the wet/dry vacuum. In a perfect world, I’d like to dedicate this to each one of my dust generating power tools. The design is so simple that all you need to do is unpack it and place it on a 5-gallon bucket. Then, connect the shop vacuum to the Dustopper.
The Dustopper has a low-profile design. It’s made of anti-static plastic that is durable. Its a few inches thicker than a normal bucket top.
The Dustopper fits shop vacuum with a 2 1/2in hole. You can find adaptors for smaller shop vac ports.
- Great suction
- Huge holding capacity
- Large wheels for mobility
- Works Great with the Dustopper
- Very large, so it’s not the easiest to store away.
- Would be great if there was additional storage at the base of the vacuum for the small accessories.
- Not crazy about the storage bag.
The Ridgid products have sat well with me. I have had a small and older version shop vac from the RIDGID line and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I have put that vacuum through the toughest situation. From pulling water out of 400 feet of PVC pipes on construction sites. Normal cleaning and has been my dust collection for over 4 years now. This one is better so I am excited about a more powerful motor. This will become my dedicated dust collecting shop vac for my table saw.
For more info and pricing:
Dustopper- HD12- High-Efficiency Dust Separator $39.97
Hose Diameter (In.) 2.5
Hose Length (ft.) 7
Product Depth (in.) 26.75
Product Height (in.) 36
Product Width (in.) 20.75
Air Volume (CFM) 203
Amperage (amps) 12
Cord Length (ft.) 20
Filter Type Cartridge
Floor Care Features Blower Port,Built-In Accessory Storage,Built-In Drain,Casters
Peak Horsepower 6.5
Product Weight (lb.) 31.25lb
Vacuum Capacity (Gallons) 16
Voltage (volts) 120
We acknowledge that The Home Depot is partnering with us to participate in the ProSpective 2018 Campaign. As a part of the Program, we are receiving compensation in the form of products and services, for the purpose of promoting The Home Depot. All expressed opinions and experiences are our own words. Our post complies with the Word Of Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA) Ethics Code and applicable Federal Trade Commission guidelines.