I am excited about having a cordless router for the first time. I probably shouldn’t be this excited, but I’ve wanted one for such a long time and because I had 3 corded ones I was able to fight the urge. This will surely be my go-to because not having a cord is such a game changer. For being battery powered, the brushless motor delivers incredible performance. With the speed control dial, you can adjust the RPM from 10,000 to 30,000. The Makita XTR01Z uses a 1/4in. shank router bit, which is perfect for all your trimming needs. It’s also designed to cut through a variety of materials. The body has a nice rubberized grip for a comfortable hold. Let’s take a closer look down below.
- Makita-built brushless motor delivers faster and more accurate cuts in a variety of materials
- Electronically-controlled BL brushless motor efficiently uses energy to match torque and RPM to the changing demands of the application
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 – 30,000 RPM) to match the speed to the application
- Soft start feature for smoother start-ups and better accuracy
- Smooth rack-and-pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
- Slim and ergonomically designed body with rubberized grip for increased comfort and control
- Aluminum housing and base for increased durability and accuracy
- LED light illuminates the work area
- Cam lock system for easy depth adjustments
- Uses 1/4 in. shank router bits
Nice compact size with a comfortable rubber grip.
Battery socket for the Makita 18v batteries.
Variable speed control dial for adjusting the RPM. Ranging from 10,000 to 30,000 RPM. Like my corded router, I can set the speed to match the material that I am working on.
To turn the XTR01Z Router on there are two actions required. You must first press the Lock/Unlock switch and then press the power button. It’s a really smart safety feature, this will prevent accidentally turning on the router.
The straight guide seems pretty solid, but It feels like an afterthought add-on. Not a fan of the play in it once it’s attached.
I like the rack-and-pinion design for the depth adjustment although it’s not as precise as I would like it to be.
When the router is in the vertical position, it’s difficult to make precise adjustments because the weight of the router causes the rack-and-pinion to slip. The proper way to achieve an accurate setting is to hold the router horizontally while making micro-adjustments.
The Router comes with two wrenches to loosen up the shaft. You can also press the shaft lock to loosen or tighten.
The dust nozzle snaps on and there is one thumb screw to secure.
- Nice two-step power on Feature
- Variable speed for multiple materials
- No carrying case to hold all accessories
- The Operating manual is not focused on one router
- The straight guide is nice but seems like an add-on
Overall, a great tool, I like how compact it is. It has the same footprint as my corded trim router minus the battery and weight. I like the fact that it has a built-in LED and for being battery powered I don’t feel like I’m missing any features. I do have some complaints most of which are minor. That being said I would totally recommend it.
For more info and pricing:
Router – Makita XTR01Z Compact Router $129
Battery and Charger Kit – Battery Pack 4.0Ah and Charger Starter Kit $149
Collet size (in.) .25
Product Depth (in.) 5.51 in
Product Height (in.) 6.06 in
Product Width (in.) 8.3 in
We acknowledge that The Home Depot is partnering with us to participate in the ProSpective 2018 Campaign. As a part of the Program, we are receiving compensation in the form of products and services, for the purpose of promoting The Home Depot. All expressed opinions and experiences are our own words. Our post complies with the Word Of Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA) Ethics Code and applicable Federal Trade Commission guidelines.