The Bosch GLM series is my go-to for measuring distance, room and wall layout. I have had the Bosch GLM 42 for quite some time and now I just got my hands on the BOSCH GLM 50 CX 165. There is a lot in common but the distance and Bluetooth range are what set them apart. You can expect pinpoint accuracy a distance up to 165 feet. If you’re doing any sort of home renovations this tool will earn its respect. With the large digital readout, you can quickly see what your measuring.
- Backlit color display
- Bluetooth functionality
- Laser measure is extremely precise with an accuracy of 1/16 in.
- Overall range is 165 ft.
- 3 indirect measurement modes are offered along with a built-in inclinometer
- Default real-time measurement shows distances move in relation to the target
- Stakeout measurement
- Handy pocket-size design
- Includes: (2) 1.5-Volt AAA batteries, pouch, hand strap, target cards and ID tags
- Free GLM measure and document app allows you to overlay your measurements onto photos
- Create digital floor plans, import and edit existing floor plans, and then export your results with the free GLM FloorPlan app
- Battery Indicator
- Spirit Level
- Measuring function
- Function wheel with 9 different settings
- Status bar
- Basic settings (sound display rotation and feet to meters)
- Bluetooth Screen
On the back of the GLM 50, you’ll find battery the cover as well as ¼” Thread for a tripod. With a new set of batteries, and continuous use you should get about 2.5 hours of run time.
The 165 has a nice large easy to read screen. This works great indoors also measuring is extremely accurate.
On the face of the 165, there are 7 buttons available.
- First Row – Laser button (on and off).
- Second Row – Left navigation button, Function (enter) and Right navigation.
- Third Row Bottom – Bluetooth function, Power button (cancel), and measuring point
Here is a list of the available functions in the GLM 50 (right). The 135 is very nice in fact they are the same footprint but does lacks many of the features listed below.
- Built-in Level
- Real-time Measurement
- Wall Areas
- Stake Out
To get the most out of the GLM 50, you will need to download the Bosch MeasurOn app. It’s available for both Andriod and Apple ISO. This app is great! You can create new projects, capture measurement, take photos, create detailed floor plans, quick sketch jot down notes and to do list. You can also import floor plans to speed things up. I think the handiest feature is to digitally transfer measurements from the BOSCH GLM 50 CX 165 to the app.
- The Bluetooth capabilities allow you to send measurements directly to the app.
- Stores up to 30 measurements at once.
- Very accurate out the box
- Can measure length, area, and volume.
- Compact size
- Measures up to 165 ft.
- The color display is easy to read
- 1/4in tripod mount
- Easy to use
- Can work alone
- Could experience inaccurate reading when used in sunlight.
- You get about 2.5 hours of run time with a new nest of batteries
Had I not used the BOSCH GLM 50 CX 165 I don’t think I would have seen the value. Recently I took a trip to my dad house to measure his closet. Luckily I remember to bring the GLM 50 and I was amazed at how quickly I was able to capture the entire space. My dad and stepmom is kind of a packrat so instead of moving all their belongings I found small areas that weren’t occupied with stuff and capture the wall to wall measurements. This blew my dad’s mind when he saw me measuring the ceiling height by just sitting the GLM 50 on the floor pointing up. Of course, he challenged the accuracy and I had to prove him wrong. I wanted to surprise him with the GLM 42 but I may keep it as back up to the BOSCH GLM 50 CX 165.
It’s the way to go if you are doing any kind of home renovation or either room layout. You can eliminate the need for a ladder or even a second hand to measure a distance. A standard measuring tape is great. This is not a replacement, having an LCD screen and all the other great features serve a different purpose. From my experience, this is very accurate. The laser works best for indoors if you want the most accurate reading. Final thoughts great tool and features.
For more info check out these links.
165ft Bosch Laser Measure with Bluetooth The GLM 50 CX is priced at $119.00.
135ft Bosch Laser Measure Bosch Blaze GLM 42 $79.97
- Width (in.): 1 3/4
- Depth (in.): 1
- Height(in.): 4 1/8
- Hand Tool Type: Range Meter
- Measurement Standard: Metric, SAE, USS
- Returnable: 90-Day
- Tools Product Type: Hand Tool
- Manufacturer Warranty: 2 Year Limited
We acknowledge that The Home Depot is partnering with us to participate in the ProSpective 2018 Campaign. As a part of the Program, we are receiving compensation in the form of products and services, for the purpose of promoting The Home Depot. All expressed opinions and experiences are our own words. Our post complies with the Word Of Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA) Ethics Code and applicable Federal Trade Commission guidelines.