I partnered up with Home Depot on this mechanical tools campaign; I am very stoked to have joined. I was not sure what I would be getting to review, but I accepted. I received three fantastic tool kits. In this post, I will be covering a Ratchet and Socket Mechanics toolset, M12 Fuel 12-Volt 1/4in extended reach ratchet and 18-Volt impact wrench.
As a DIYer, my heart is in creating; however, I will get up under the hood if I think the task is within my abilities. I can take anything apart, but if I do not feel I can put it back to whether that’s where I make my decision to seek a mechanic. I consider my self a tinker, and that’s about it.
Let’s take a close look at these tools.
M12 FUEL 12-Volt 1/4 in. Extended Reach Ratchet
Let’s look at this extended reach 3/8in ratchet from Milwaukee. This tool is made well; it has some weight and feels exceptionally durable. As a weekend tinker, this tool is the best option for me versus air tools. Not having an air compressor and hose to drag around Is a considerable time saver. That includes setting up and clean after. Here re a few things I to know about the M12 FUEL 12-Volt Lithium-ion Brushless Cordless 3/8in Extended reach ratchet kit.
Few things to know about this wrench:
- This ratchet is part of the M12 system, which features over 80 additional tools.
- It has a slim profile to get into tight locations while extending your reach.
- Up to 55-foot pound of max torque to pull those problematic bolts.
- You can drive and loosen bolts just as a standard ratchet.
- This is the 3/8, but there is also 1/4in and 1/2 ratchet like this.
- It’s heavy but drives fast, so you are not holding it long.
- Trigger lock to prevent accidental operation. This is great; over time, you may throw this in your tool bag or bucket. Other tools can quickly press the trigger and drain the battery if the lock is not on.
- One other thing like here is seeing the “4” LED on the side to show the battery level.
If you are invested in M12 system you may have batteries which can save a few bucks by ordering he tool only. This kit comes with the tool, battery, charger and a carrying bag to keep it all together. You can check it out here for more info.
1/2 in. Drive SAE/Metric Ratchet and Socket Mechanics Tool Set
Being a first time Milwaukee socket set owner, this socket set is a thing of beauty! There are a few things, in my opinion, that sets this apart from other games I have owned. I will address them in a few. This is the 1/2in Drive SAE/ Metric Ratchet and socket mechanics set. There are 47 pieces in this kit (1) ratchet, (2) Extensions, (18) deep well sockets, (26) standard socket, and a case with removable tray.
Over the years, I have collected a collection of socket sets; my dad came by and took some off my hands. This kit is here to stay. I like it and an unusual approach. I always wanted a kit in my truck for those what-if moments, and this is it. I like that the case, it is slim and can store under a seat, so it has a home already.
In no particular order here are some things that I feel make this kit shine no pun intended.
- I cannot count the amount of time I have done some automotive work on a pitched drive, and my sockets rolled away. With this socket set, those running tools are a thing of the past with the anti-roll feature.
- The flat side is dual purpose, not only prevents the socket from rolling but its wrench ready. This means you can use fixed or adjust wrench to turn the socket. I do not even know if I will need to use this feature, but I am excited about its availability.
- The size is stamped on the tool, discrete from a distance, but very bold when you are close.
- The ratchet has a 4 deg—arc swing, magnificent when you are fighting to get a good turn in the tight space.
- Easy to switch the lever direction.
- The Removable storage tray to me if good for a few reasons. Taking the tray out of the carrying case is so convenient when you are always moving around—no need to hassle with the matter, bumping the lid into things. The tools are nicely organized in the tray, so if you place the set in a drawer, it can stay neat. This, when you need the socks, you grab the tray and go! The tray measure 13.5in by 11-1/4in and just under 2in deep with the tools in place.
The overall design is different; it’s a new concept to me. I think it takes some getting used to because it’s a change from the typical round socket set. There is no release button on the ratchet, but the fit is pretty tight. If you are looking for a socket set, this one is backed by a lifetime guarantee.
Milwaukee Brushless Cordless 1/2 in. Impact Wrench
Here is a tool that straight-up surprised me! This impact wrench is a breast for! Power tools have evolved, but this is impassive. This is not your typical impact driver. Included in this kit are the impact wrench, two 5AH batteries, charger, and a hard-caring case. All you need now is the right socket set.
Over the past two years, Milwaukee has gained my respect with the M18 line of tools. I have never been a person that favored any brand of tools because I feel like I can make things happen with less. I do not remember the last time I used a corded handheld tool that was not a belt sander or a router. Mostly everything has been battery-powered tools. Even knowing what I know, I was still shocked to see this wrench when I removed the lug nuts from my pickup truck with ease.
Let’s look at the obvious, this wrench/driver is massive and weighs around 7.5 pounds with a 5AH battery. At first sight, this looks top-heavy but is perfectly balanced as a drill, so no worry here.
If you are already in he M18 tool club you can save a few hundred dollars by just buying the tool only.
Impact Wrench features
- This kit comes with the tool, (2) batteries, charger, and case.
- The brushless motor delivers up to 1000 ft. / lbs. of fastening torque and 1400 ft. / lbs. of nut-busting torque
- Provides maximum productivity by removing stubborn and high torque fasteners up to 2X faster than the competition
- Most compact cordless high torque impact wrench in its class at 8.39 in. L
- 4-mode drive control with bolt removal mode, allowing for ultimate control, 0 RPM to 550 RPM/1,400 RPM/1750 RPM/1750 RPM -750 RPM and 0 IPM – 950 IPM/1,750 IPM/2,100 IPM/2,100 IPM
- Bolt removal mode provides maximum nut-busting torque to break fastener free, then slows to 750 RPM for more control when removing fasteners
- REDLINK plus intelligence prevents damage to the tool and battery due to overloading or overheating
- REDLITHIUM 5.0 Ah batteries deliver more work per charge and more work over the life of the battery
- Features a friction ring design to ensure quick and easy socket changes
- Premium rubber over-mold withstands corrosive materials and provides increased comfort when in use
- Onboard damn LED light to light up the work area
- Part of the M18 System, featuring over 135 plus tools
We acknowledge that The Home Depot is partnering with us to participate in the ProSpective 2019 Campaign. As a part of the Program, we are receiving compensation in the form of products and services, for the purpose of promoting The Home Depot. All expressed opinions and experiences are our own words. Our post complies with the Word Of Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA) Ethics Code and applicable Federal Trade Commission guidelines.